Hey folks, Dave here!
In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, we thought what better way to celebrate than with an old-fashioned limerick writing contest?
Do you love First Class Trouble? Do you enjoy winning prizes? Are you a poet and didn’t know it? Then this contest is for you!
First Class Trouble – St. Patrick’s Day Limerick Contest
What is a limerick?
A limerick is a short, five-line poem with just one stanza. They have an AABBA rhyme scheme and a bouncy rhythm. Like so:
Behold, the friendly new Personoid
They’re here to serve, no need to avoid
Be sure to behave
And you will be safe
Lest not vented out to the void
Contests have lots of rules, so please be sure to read them below very carefully, and good luck!
FIRST CLASS TROUBLE
PATRICK’S DAY LIMERICK CONTEST
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
- OFFICAL RULES. Please read these official contest rules (“Official Rules”) before entering THE FIRST CLASS TROUBLE LIMERICK CONTEST (the “Contest”). By submitting an entry, entrants (hereafter referred to as “Contestant” or “you” or “your”) acknowledge that you (a) are eligible to enter the Contest, (b) have read and agree to be bound by these Official Rules, and (c) agree to our judges’ decisions set forth below.
- ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is only open to legal residents of the United States and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are at least as old as the minimum age of majority in the jurisdiction from which they enter the Contest, and only to those who have Internet access prior to the Contest start date.
This Contest is sponsored by Versus Evil LLC, P.O. Box 482 Phoenix, MD 21131 (“Versus Evil” or “us” or “we” or “our”). Employees, officers, directors, agents, and representatives of Versus Evil LLC, the game developer, Invisible Walls, or the legal, promotion, and/or advertising agencies of these entities (together the “Contest Entities”), and all immediate respective family members of the foregoing (defined as spouses, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, grandparents and in-laws, regardless of where they live) and those living in their household (whether or not related), and each person or entity connected with the production or administration of the Contest, and each parent company, affiliate, subsidiary, agent and representative of any aforementioned entity are not eligible. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and is void where prohibited.
- TIMING: ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED DURING THE CONTEST SUBMISSION PERIOD BELOW. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE APPLICABLE CONTEST ENTRY TIMES IN YOUR RESPECTIVE TIME ZONE.
The Contest begins on March 15, 2021, at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) and ends on March 29, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. PT (the “Contest Period”), and consists of the following two phases:
|Submission Period||March 15, 2021, 12:01 a.m.PT||March 29, 2021 11: 59 p.m. PT|
|Judging Period||April 1, 2021 12:01 a.m.PT||April 7, 2021, 11: 59 p.m. PT|
|Winners Announced||April 9, 2021|
- HOW TO ENTER:
- Limit one (1) submission per natural person per email address.
- Only online submissions are accepted.
- To officially submit your Limerick for judging, you must do the following:
- First, upload your completed Limerick to Versus Evil’s official Twitter (@vs_evil) or our official Discord (https://discord.com/invite/versusevil). If you upload your Limerick to Twitter, you must use the hashtag #EvilLimerick. (Please note that If you do not have access to Twitter or Discord, you can email your Limerick to email@example.com (along with your registration information as provided in the bullet below) to officially submit your Limerick for judging consideration.
- Second, register your Limerick with us, by emailing us at email us a firstname.lastname@example.org. Along with a copy of your Limerick, please include your legal name, address (city, state, and zip), along with your email address and telephone number).
- RULES: We would like to invite you to create an original Limerick for our new game First Class Trouble. The following criteria will help guide you on what we are looking for:
- You must be 18 years old (or as old as the minimum age of majority in the jurisdiction from which you enter the Contest), or older and a resident of the United States or Canada to participate.
- Your Limerick and all submission materials must be in English, and all contact information must be current, truthful, and valid.
- Your Limerick must include or incorporate the name “First Class Trouble” in the title and at least one line in the Limerick stanza.
- Your Limerick cannot exceed five lines (see the definition of Limerick is Section 6(a) below, nor can it exceed 100 words in length.
- Your Limerick may not refer to or rely on any trademark, logo, or trade name of any third-party other than Versus Evil LLC, First Class Trouble, and Invisible Walls.
- Your Limerick may not feature any third-party toy, action figure, character, actor, celebrity, video game, video game content, or public figure.
- Your Limerick must not contain material that is unlawful or in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where it is created.
- Your Limerick cannot contain explicit language, sexual references, or harmful language toward any particular race, gender identification, or sexual orientation; nor can your Limerick depict or describe any nudity, animal cruelty, harmful or illegal activity or substances, or offensive, racist, or obscene subject matter as determined in our sole discretion.
- Your Limerick must be original and cannot infringe on the rights of any individual or any copyright or trademark.
- Your Limerick cannot portray Versus Evil, First Class Trouble, Invisible Walls, or any other Contest Entities in a negative light. Please, no personal attacks on anyone.
- WHAT IS A LIMERICK?
(a) A Limerick is a short, five-line poem consisting of a single stanza, with three long and two short lines rhyming aabba, as popularized by Edward Lear.
(b) A limerick has an AABBA rhyme scheme and a bouncy rhythm. Like so:
Behold, the friendly new Personoid
They’re here to serve, no need to avoid
Be sure to behave
And you will be safe
Lest not vented out to the void
- WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Your Limerick should meet the definition of a limerick as described in Section 6 above.
- Your Limerick should be creative and unique, and it should be in keeping with the First Class Trouble story.
- Your Limerick should incorporate the game’s title, First Class Trouble, and we prefer that it reference or refer to at least one First Class Trouble character, setting, or scene.
- Your Limerick can be humorous but not crude.
Best of luck and may your First Class Trouble Limerick be epic!
- UPLOADING REQUIREMENTS:
(a) When you have completed your epic Limerick, upload it to our official Twitter feed (@vs_evil) or our official Discord (https://discord.com/invite/versusevil) in accordance with the terms of service and privacy rules of those services and these Official Rules. You are responsible for setting up your own user account on Twitter or Discord.
(b) Once your Limerick is uploaded to your satisfaction, Second, register your Limerick with us by emailing us at email us a email@example.com. Along with a copy of your Limerick, in your email, please include your legal name, address (city, state, and zip), along with your email address and telephone number).
(c) Deadline: We must have received your Limerick and all submission information no later than March 29, 2021 at 11: 59 p.m. PT according our internal server time. No other methods of entry will be accepted, including submission by email. All Limericks received by the end of the Submission Period that are complete and otherwise qualified will be eligible to win.
- OTHER RULES:
- We are not responsible for incomplete, late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, void, corrupted, garbled, illegible, or unintelligible Limericks, and those Limericks are void and will not be accepted; nor are we responsible for any problems, bugs, or malfunctions you may encounter when entering your Limerick.
- Your Limerick must be an original work of authorship, created solely by you. So, while we want you to be creative, you need to be careful. You may not copy or otherwise plagiarize any source, nor may your Limerick include third-party copyrighted material, such as artwork, photographs, movie or TV screenshots, other videos, or even tattoo designs, even if you obtain the copyright holder’s permission. You further agree to indemnify the Contest Entities against any and all claims of infringement from any third-party for any use by us or any Contest Entity of your Limerick.
- We reserve the right to disqualify any Contestant we find or reasonably suspect is tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or violating these Official Rules. Persons discovered entering under several names will be disqualified.
- Any submission of robotic, automatic, or programmed entries, or any entries submitted through other unapproved methods are void. Contest Entities reserve the right to disqualify false entries or entries suspected of being false or fraudulent.
- All Limericks become our sole property and will not be acknowledged or returned.
(h) You may not be represented under any contract that would limit or impair our ability to use your Limerick in any media form; nor can you be subjected to or under any merchandising agreement or under any other contractual relationship, including but not limited to guild and/or union memberships, that may prohibit them from participating fully in this Contest or from allowing the Contest Entities to use royalty-free, your Limerick worldwide in all media in perpetuity.
(i) We reserve the right to exclude any Limerick that we reasonably believe doesn’t meet the above criteria, at our sole discretion.
- WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION:
- Judging will be completed in one (1) round during the Judging Period. All entries will be prescreened to verify they have correctly met the Submission Requirements and meet our general standards and practices prior to any judging (“Qualified Limericks”). During the Judging Period, a panel of at least three (3) qualified judges will conduct judging of all Qualified Limericks received during the Contest Period. Each Qualified Limerick will be judged on the following criteria, on a 100-point scale:
- Creativity and Originality (40 points)
- Relevance to Theme (40 points)
- Quality (20 points)
- The three (3) Limericks with the highest score, as determined by our judges, will be selected (“Selected Contestants”). In the event of a tie, the tying submissions will be rescored in order to determine a Selected Contestant.
- Any communication or information transmitted to us or to our website, Facebook page, or by text, electronic mail, or otherwise is and will be treated as non-confidential and nonproprietary. Proof of submitting any Limerick is not considered proof of delivery to or receipt of such Limerick. Furthermore, are not liable for any Limerick that is lost, intercepted or not received by us directly. We are not responsible for delays in finalizing winners.
- All Contest Entities reserve the right to distribute or display your Limerick in any media and on any website, including on its and its affiliated websites, and on its Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube pages and channels. You understand that users of these social media sites may share, embed, comment on (including negatively) and re-post your Limerick during and after the Contest Period. Contest Entities are not responsible for such third-party activities.
- Your name, profile, and Limerick may be announced and posted on our and other Contest Entities’ website(s) and social media pages, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, and in all other media and media forms to be determined solely at our discretion.
- The Selected Contestants will be notified by email and by posting to our official Twitter and Discord social media feeds (for Twitter: @vs_evil, and for Discord: https://discord.com/invite/versusevil) (each a “Notification”). The Selected Contestants will be required to respond to the Notification by email or phone (as directed) within forty-eight (48) hours of attempted Notification. The failure to respond timely to the Notification may result in forfeiture of the prize (as later described herein); and, in such case, we may choose the next highest scoring Limerick from among the remaining eligible submissions (up to three times).
- The Selected Contestants will be required to sign and return our Contest Release and any other documents that we may require within 72-hours of receipt of the Release. Failure to timely return a signed Contest Release or other required documents or the return of any prize notification as undeliverable will result in prize forfeiture. If a Selected Contestant cannot be reached, is unable or unwilling to accept the prize (or any portion of the prize) or is disqualified for any reason, the prize may be awarded to a runner-up, if any, in our sole discretion. Only three (3) alternate Selected Contestants may be determined, after which the applicable prize will remain un-awarded. Acceptance of any prize shall constitute and signify each Selected Contestant’s agreement and consent that we and all other Contest Entities, including each such party’s designees, may use the Selected Contestant’s name, city, state, likeness, Limerick, and/or prize information in connection with the Contest and our promotions, advertising or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration, except where prohibited by law. We will not make multiple attempts to contact Selected Contestants. Assumed notification by caller ID and any subsequent returned calls do not constitute a winner. Winner selection is subject to verification, including verification of the Selected Contestant’s eligibility.
- PRIZES. [Please review carefully!]
- Up to three (3) prizes will be awarded, one to each of the finally Selected Contestants:
- The First Place Selected Contestant will a six-pack (6) of First Class Trouble Steam Keys when it releases later this spring, or within 30-days of First Class Trouble’s commercial release, whichever is sooner.
- The Second Place Selected Contestant will receive one (1) Steam key for First Class Trouble and a three-pack (s) of Versus Evil game Steam Keys (good for any Versus Evil game available on Steam).
- The Third Place Selected Contestant will receive one (1) Steam key for First Class Trouble.
- All prizes will be released within 30-days of First Class Trouble’s commercial release, which we are planning for later this spring.
- For all prizes, all federal, state and local taxes and other expenses in connection with the prize are the sole responsibility of the Selected Contestant. Selected Contestants are solely responsible for any other unspecified expenses related to prize. All activities related to a prize are at the Selected Contestants’ own risk and subject to whatever restrictions are imposed by the entities that govern activities. Selected Contestants are not entitled to any surplus between the actual retail value (“ARV”) of a prize and stated ARV, and any difference between stated ARV and actual value of the prize will not be awarded. No substitution, transfer, or cash redemption of prize is allowed, provided however that we reserve the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value should the advertised prize become unavailable for any reason. If a prize is awarded but goes unclaimed or is forfeited by recipient, the prize will be forfeited, and, at our discretion, an alternate Selected Contestant will be selected.
- The odds of winning a prize are subject to the total number of eligible Contestants.
- The total value for all three prizes is APPROXIMATELY $200.00 USD.
- Limit: One (1) prize per person per household.
- Unless prohibited by applicable law, you hereby grant us and each Contest Entity an irrevocable worldwide license to use, distribute, copy, create derivative works from, and publicly display your Limerick in any and all media throughout the world, in perpetuity, for any purpose whatsoever (including without limitation in a screensaver, in a book, as part of a video production, and at trade shows), without any additional compensation, the term of which shall be the entire life of the copyright. Should you be unwilling or otherwise unable to enter into this license or provide permissions and sign our Contest Release or otherwise cannot accept or receive the prize for any reason, the next highest score will be chosen from the remaining entries until one who is able to meet all requirements can be selected. You may not sell, assign, or transfer any of your rights in your Limerick. You will not be paid for your Limerick, for using your likeness, or other right of publicity rights, or for granting us or any other Contest Entity any of these rights.
- At any time before or after the Contest Period, we and each Contest Entity may post, share, or print all entered Limericks in our sole discretion. While we and each Contest Entity will seek to post Limericks in the form provided at the time of entry, you agree that due to technical or other limitations and otherwise at our discretion, your Limerick may be altered from its original form, and we reserve the right to edit or modify your Limerick, including adding logos or other trademarks. You further understand and agree that your Limerick, including any portion thereof, may be used, edited, and/or modified by us or other Contest Entities at any time before or after the end of the Contest Period for any reason, including without limitation, other promotions and marketing.
- RELEASE FROM LIABILITY.
- This Contest is subject to these Official Rules. By participating, you agree (a) to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of our judges, which shall be final and binding; and (b) to waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Contest or these Official Rules, except where prohibited by law. By entering this Contest, you agree to release us, each Contest Entity, and each social media site you use to upload your Limerick (including each entity’s parent, subsidiary and affiliated entities together with their respective directors, employees, officers, licensees, licensors and agents, and respective advertising and promotion entities, and any person or entity associated with the production, judging, or administration of the Contest) (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any and all liability, loss or damage arising from or in connection with awarding, receipt and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any prize-related activities.
- Releasees shall not be liable for (i) telephone system, telephone or computer hardware, software or other technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (ii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iii) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death caused by the prize or resulting from acceptance, possession or use of a prize, or from participation in the Contest; or (iv) any printing, typographical, administrative or technological errors in any materials associated with the Contest. We disclaim any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participating in or accessing or downloading information in connection with this Contest. We reserve the right to cancel or suspend the Contest, in our sole discretion, should we receive fewer than thirty (30) entries, or receive no entries that have a judged score above sixty (60) points, or due to circumstances beyond our control, including natural disasters. Limericks will not be returned and may be destroyed.
- By participating, you agree that we, each Contest Entity, and each social media site you use to upload your Limerick (including each entity’s shareholders, agents and representatives, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies, and legal advisors) are not responsible or liable for, and shall be released and held harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with or resulting from participation in the Contest, or acceptance of the prize, including without limitation, claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy.
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL YOU BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN AWARDS FOR, AND YOU HEREBY WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES, OTHER THAN YOUR ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES (E.G. COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THE CONTEST). YOU FURTHER WAIVE ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLED OR INCREASED.
- Neither we nor any Contest Entity is responsible and shall not be held liable, and your entry may be disqualified and may not be considered for any prize, should your Limerick be removed from a social media or other hosting site for any reason (including without limitation a DMCA take-down), or should your Limerick be unavailable for any reason during the Judging Period.
- We and each Contest Entity reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify, or suspend the Contest should a virus, bug, computer problem, unauthorized intervention or other causes beyond our control, corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the Contest. We may prohibit you from participating in the Contest or winning prize if, in our sole discretion, we determine you are attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest in any way by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other players or our representatives or other Contest Entities. Use of automated entry devices or programs is prohibited. Any attempts to access our Contest site, enter the Contest or increase votes or views via a bot script, device or brute-force attack will result in disqualification, including that IP address becoming ineligible for the entire Contest. Caution: any attempt to deliberately damage or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be in violation of criminal and civil laws and will result in disqualification from participation in the Contest. Should such an attempt be made, we reserve the right to seek remedies and damages (including attorney fees) to the fullest extent of the law, including criminal prosecution.
- The laws of the United States and the laws of the State of California govern this Contest and all claims must be resolved in the United States. As a condition of participating in the Contest, you agree, to the extent permitted by law, that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties and causes of action out of or in connection with this Contest, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in San Mateo County, California.
- WAIVER OF JURY TRIAL. Except as prohibited by applicable law and as a condition of participating in this Contest, each Contestant hereby irrevocably and perpetually waives any right s/he may have to a trial by jury in respect of any litigation directly or indirectly arising out of, under or in connection with this Contest, any document or agreement entered into in connection herewith, any prize available in connection herewith, and any of the transactions contemplated hereby or thereby.
- OFFICIAL RULES AND WINNERS LIST. For a copy of these Official Rules or of the winner(s), send your request in a self-addressed, stamped envelope (WA and VT residents need not affix return postage) to: Versus Evil LLC, P.O. Box 482 Phoenix, MD 21131. In the alternative, winners’ lists may be obtained by emailing us with the subject line “REQUEST WINNERS LIST” at to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your request must be received within ninety (90) days of the end of this Contest.